Beyond The Medal - Blogs from Australia's favourite running, tri &n inspiring jewellery

Beyond The Medal Blogs


My Color Run 24

Ruby Pink Cat
Author: Ruby Pink Cat Age 5, Blogger Extroidinaire, Daughter of Rhiannon Mulhearn, Beyond The Medal Ambassador 


17 June 2016 - Gold Coast

When we first arrived to the Color Run, I was feeling a bit nervous and a bit shy and I was worried that the colours would hurt if they went into my eyes. Then we went and lined up in the starting area, where they were playing lots of music and we had to count down from 10 before we started the race.

 Counting down from 10

They were throwing out prizes into the crowd but I didn’t get one and that made me cry.

I was holding my mummy’s hand for most of the race.

First I went into the Pink zone. I was a bit nervous but at Orange, which was the next colour, I wasn’t nervous anymore.  I liked having the pink colour on my face. I rubbed my face onto Mummy’s top to get even more pink on me.

Before we got to the Orange zone, I got to sit in the middle of a giant letter H. The letters spelt out HAPPY.  It was as fun as the sun.


Ruby Happy at Color Run

Then at the Blue zone I wasn’t nervous either. And we got lots of colour on us here. Then we had Rainbow colours (which was a rainbow) and there were small bubbles here too.

 Then we got into the Snow Zone. There was lots of thick bubbles all over the ground and in the air, and I spent too much time in there all through the bubbles. I didn’t want my colour to come off in there but it did as the snow was wet bubbles.

Ruby Pink Cat in Color Run Bubbles

Then I went into some wet colours and I liked it but it was so cold and I felt heavy. And then we had to go all the way back to the finish line and then we were done.

I got my medal and then we got some dark colours. We then went to get some colours on us from the people on the stage and then it was time for us to go home.

 Ruby and Mum at Color Run

On the way back I had a tantrum because I didn’t get to do something that I really wanted to do. I didn’t get to open a locker where I could have got a prize and so I cried. But I ended up finding some things instead. I found a pair of glasses on the ground and a shiny ribbon and someone gave me a wrist band.

I had fun. The end. From Ruby Pink Cat. 


Ruby Pink Cat reeeelaxing

At Beyond The Medal we think Ruby Pink Cat is sooooooo Awesome, as is her Mum.

Read more about Beyond The Medal Ambassador Rhiannon Mulhearn here 

Your Injured? Now What? 6

Author Carin McCoy, Beyond The Medal Ambassador

I remember my brave Husband once alluding to the fact that perhaps there should be a 'place' where all injured runners could be sent until they recovered. Perhaps a deserted Island? A padded Cell? A Boxing ring? A brave statement to make to his injured wife

Huh?! Funnily enough he never brought it up again!

Injured Runner may bite

For those of you that Run, you have probably on a few occasions stared(*glared) at your Physiotherapist/Doctor and muttered the words “So, give it to me....can I run?”. No matter what the injury or illness, this statement seems to creep to the forefront of our minds. We forget about being upset about the trauma to our body and instead fixate on OMG did someone say NO RUNNING?!

I get it. Running is your 'thing'. Its your happy, your sad, your space, your freedom, your strength and it can become your therapy.

So, What do you do when you get Injured?

Well firstly I prescribe a giant Hissy Fit. I'm talking one that can out scream any 3 year old child.

Hiss Fit

Then, tell everyone in a loud manic voice that 'I AM INJURED'.

Secure a INJURED RUNNER banner to your back, front and side. Avoid all desires to run down people happily running in the street.


Now once you have finished with all these perfectly rational suggestions you might like to :

Talk with your healthcare provider and see what exercises you can do. Now I know, I hear you say...but its not running. Open and strengthen your mind. Be adaptable in your sport. Be strong when things don't go as planned and get creative in meeting your goals.

For me Pilates was something other people did. I was always to chicken to give it a go. I was also becoming aware that it was something that could strengthen me and get me through this injury. Hell, I might even enjoy it? So, I bit the bullet and 10 weeks ago, signed up to class and have been going to Pilates twice a week. What happened? I learnt a hell of a lot about my body. The different way to turn on and isolate muscles and I gained a lot of strength. The focus on stabilising and strengthening my muscles leaves me feeling strong and like I am moving forward. Bonus!

Another reminder is to be strong and remember there is ALWAYS exercise you can do and that will be of benefit, not only in your rehab but in your overall fitness. Draw on those positives, let your injury teach you how to face challenges.

Find the right trainer! Someone that is adaptable and positive and that will bring your a program that keeps you challenged.

Ever tried Boxing?


Its been a life saver for me. A sense of empowerment like nothingelse when you step into the boxing ring. Swimming? Weights? Tabata? Group Fitness Classes? Yoga?

Shift your focus from what your body can't do and what it can do at the moment. That minor setback you are dealing with right now, let it fuel you and lead to your comeback.

A quote that resonates with me and is a timely reminder “ No Athlete is truly tested until they've stared an injury in the face and come out stronger than ever” (Unknown.)

Find out more about Carin McCoy here
Beyond the Medal Ambassador

Body Positive Athlete 

  • Ann-Marie Johansen

5 Events, 2 Days totalling 42.2kms 5

Kath Jones Beyond The Medal Ambassador Author: Kath Jones , Beyond The Medal Ambassador 








Warwick pentath run. Five events. Two days. A total of 42.2km. You can run one, or all five, or any combination in between.

My goal was simple. All five, Uninjured!!


Speed is not my thing, and doing event after event back to back was certainly untested waters for me. I had no speed goals – just to finish and still be able to move was enough.

A solid race required a solid training plan. Garry Wells of the untapped runners wrote a pentath run specific training plan for myself and friends (thefive30kittens). The plan involved a lot of pentath specific training. Hills. More hills. Back to back run days. And encouragement from Garry and our team that saw me uninjured and as ready as I could be at the start line.


Race weekend and day one brought a 7am start for the first event of the weekend. A point A to point B destination half marathon. After starting in the main street of Warwick, we headed around the river and up Yangan hill – a steep, long uphill run. Thank goodness for training I had tackled this many times.

As you proceeded along Yangan Road for the next 17 or so km (!), you received a visual treat. As the road opened up before you, you were greeted with a visual feast of long country roads, and incredible mountains ahead of you.

For me – this race was a race run in two halves. My first 10k was strong. I went out harder than I probably should – but it felt awesome. Local support along the early stages of the path lifted me, and I ran strong.

As the road got longer – support along the sides thinned. Hills increased. The day warmed up and I started to struggle. The moments where friends had stationed themselves with signs and cheered us on truly lifted me. By 16k I had had enough. Walk run intervals became the name of the game, and the water station cheerleaders kept me going.

As you start to enter the town of Yangan, a few hundred metres from the finish, one last hill rises before you. Knowing that we were very close to the end of the pack, it was at this moment I decided time doesn’t matter, it was the friends on the course that did. I stopped and called Em who was behind me to catch up. I do remember her yelling out “are you kidding me” as I waited. Side by side we pushed our way up the hill to cheers from the sidelines. In the end – it was Em that got me home. That last hill hurt.

We received a hero’s welcome. People on the sidelines were screaming that these were the heroes – these were the people we wanted to see! Crossing that line together was incredible. And finishing with our five30friends waiting for us on the other side made my day. Race one was done.

It was time to inhale the official race breakfast and go onto race two.


DAY ONE - RACE TWO – The Cross Country

Midday Saturday sees the start of race two. A 4.6km cross country run at the Allora golf course – approximately 20min drive from Warwick.

Being a definite back of the back runner down time between these events was short. It was a quick shower, change, refuel and leave time. I was still feeling a bit queasy from the half, so refuelling at one stage consisted of an iceblock in the shower!

The cross country course is two laps on predominately grass and gravel around a golf course. There are several short steep uphills, and some steep, rocky descents. My legs were hammered from the morning half so my race plan was to walk down the really steep declines (uninjured was my number one goal), walk up the steepest inclines and run a steady race as much as I could the rest.

Trail shoes were a winner with this run, some parts were quite rocky underfoot. The encouragement at the finish line was second to none. This is definitely the event I found the hardest all weekend. It was good to get it done.


Saturday 3pm brings race three. A 5k out and back road race that starts and finishes rather appropriately at the awesome country pub – the Sandy Creek Hotel. Pre-race we had organised for all parkrunners present to gather for a group photo. Seeing so many #parkrunadventurers was a highlight – it’s amazing how numbers in this photo have increased in size in just one year!


Goal for race three was to run the lot. Get the legs ticking over and don’t give into the tiredness. The atmosphere in this race is fantastic! This is the race that most people turn out for – and turn out they did. As a co – event director for our local parkrun my favourite part was seeing our runners out in force. They did so well! My relief at the end of this 5k was huge. I had gotten through day one. Over half way. My legs were shattered and I was mentally exhausted. I honestly had no idea how I would do day two … and strongly thought of pulling out. I was tired, and just felt done.


Day two. I woke up surprisingly in good form. A decent dinner and sleep had served my legs well. I was ready.

The first race of day two is a 10k uphill ascent. It starts in the town of Killarney, and ends at the beautiful Queen Mary Falls. The first 5-6k was good. It was relatively flat, and my pace felt strong. I just steadily focussed on the person ahead of me and tried to make small gains where I could.

With about 4-5km to go the road starts to ascend and it is uphill from there . This is a run about the mind. Get a rhythm. Focus . And just keep moving forward. Only the elite run the whole uphill, it is very demanding. Highlights for me were following the music of Neil and Regi, and being passed by Zoey and Corrine from Operation Move who were ahead of me, but stopped off to sightsee at Daggs Falls! Finally at the top I was met by cheer squad extraordinare Carol and Ross who had the biggest of proud grins! Avril had finished earlier and met me with a few hundred metres to go – and informed me she was running me home. Best ever.

Oh – and highlight of the race – the breakfast from the café up the top provided to all runners has to be seen to be believed. I love this run because it is the one everyone dreads, and in the end – almost everyone declares it their favourite of the weekend.

DAY TWO – RACE FIVE! – the sprint

1500m sprint down the main street. The final event.

Just before the start we had collected our singlets for running all five events. I tucked it in my race belt because I did NOT want to wear it until it was earnt. I was pumped for this. 1500m stood between me and being a penath run finisher. This is an out and back course. The atmosphere is fantastic. Kids, runners and walkers – tutus, superherous – you name it you see it.

The first half I felt tired on but once I hit that turnaround point I just pushed home. I wanted that finish line! Crossing the finish – being met by my gym manager with the biggest YOU DID IT smile, and seeing my friends. It was the best. I remember whipping that singlet out and pulling it on. Biggest grin ever. Ask me earlier and I would have told you this was impossible for me. But I did it. The impossible was possible. I wasn’t the fastest or the strongest – but time and time again I’m being told that people are entering next year because they saw me do it. This is what it’s about.


A weekend like this doesn’t happen without a team.

Biggest thanks goes to my family, and especially my husband Paul who basically did everything all weekend because all I could do was run. My coach Garry Wells of untapped runners. I asked for complete all five, and uninjured and the program did just that. And my five30kittens (and herder) training partners, Sonja, Peter, Linda and Karena. You had my back the whole way. Best ever.


Find out more about Kath here

There's more to running than running! 0

Nicki TisdaleAuthor: Nicole Tisdale, Beyond The Medal Ambassador


Its been a rocky year for me and regards to racing events. 

My major one being the 100km UTA that was run on the 14th May.  I have trained long & hard since August last year to be able to confidentially compete in this race, passing up all local triathlons & my normal cross training social sessions.  Being a mother of a now near one year old (so yes I started to train pretty much straight after she was born) my training times consisted of a lot of early morning starts and long nights as I tried to fit in working, playing mum & wife and just general life. 

My days were arduous to say the least.  I had my good days and I had my really not so good ones (just ask my hubby he’ll tell you haha).  

In February I started to hit a major fatigue wall both physically & mentally that I just couldn’t seem to get past but I kept on training.  By March my husband decided I need to be dragged down to the Dr’s because, I quote “there is something that is just not right”.

Long story short I was diagnosed with pretty bad adrenal fatigue and I was living off 3 hours broken sleep a night for a while.  NOT COOL.  I was straight away put on a strict diet, supplement and rest regime.  As you all can imagine I was very antsy to get back into my running.  When I was finally allowed to run again (it was a 2 week rest) it was slow, it was painful and was not pretty but I was getting it done. 

The time of the race was drawing near so I was getting all my race gear organised, and was so excited when my compass turned up in the mail, things were getting real.  Fast forward to the week of the UTA and my daughter (11ish months of age) gets hit with a fever of 39+ and we have to go to ED.  My poor little baby who is a tiny little thing ends up with this fever for 7 days straight, on a drip and has to have dual antibiotics for 2 weeks. I missed my flights…I missed my race…My whole life focus for the last 10 months was missed, and I’d miss it all over again to be with my baby if she was that sick but it was sad still the same.

 The sense of loss after it all transpired was a bit daunting to say the least, I kind of wandered around aimlessly for a few weeks trying to find the motivation to do something, anything. 

Then along comes Darwin’s own City2Surf 12km fun run.  PERFECT!!!

So I packed Maggie and myself up at 530am, picked up my friend and off we went to start our day with an ‘easy’12km.   Well that was adventurous haha, the race started late, it was about a 100 degrees and  gazillion % humidity and the shade factor was zilch, nada, nothing, lucky I put the ice packs in my daughters pram for the just in case its hot moment.

Nicole finishing City2Surf

With lots of fussing & stopping, a few squashed bottles & spilled milk bottles, we finally crossed the finish line at 1:20, not the best time by any means but we were the 3rd pram over the line that morning and I was the first mum with a pram so I’m going to take it where I can.

Nicole crossing finish line

I ran most of the way with my champion of a friend who had only started running a year ago and she completed this race without stopping, her longest distance to date, I WAS SO DAMN PROUD.

It made me stop and think, this is what it’s all about, not just the PBs & the distance, but the friendships and the joy we receive from sharing our experiences of crossing that finish line. And of course the sore muscle debriefs the next day lol but this race rekindled my love of running and I’m so glad I got it done.

Well my lovelies enough from me, will keep you updated on my next adventure.Nicole Tisdale and friend

Find out more about Nicole here
  • Ann-Marie Johansen

Dream it, Believe in it, Do It 1

Bec FrisniaAuthor: Bec Frisnia, Beyond The Medal Ambassador








Sunday 22nd May 2016 the 7th annual HBF Run 4 a Reason was held in Perth.


I’ve never participated in this particular run before and was excited about doing it.

Run for a Reason

Over the years this event has raised over 5 million dollars for over 170 local health related charities!  

"I’d entered in the 12km run which started at 8am. It was a cool 10 degrees and even though the grey skies above threatened rain the 30,000 plus crowd were not deterred, but were pumped and excited when the start gun went off".

The course started on the corner of William and Hay streets in the centre of Perth city and travelled towards Riverside Drive.

There were walkers mixed in with the runners so it took a fair while to get a running rhythm and the road was very slippery from overnight rain which made things a bit tricky.

We headed up along the Mitchell Freeway and right onto the Graham Farmer Freeway and into the tunnel. There was a bit of buzz and excitement from everyone entering the tunnel, but as time went on it was very hot, stuffy and seemed to go on forever! Coming out of the tunnel on the other side was such a relief, as the cool air hit my face it gave me a much needed burst to push on up the slight incline of Graham Farmer Freeway  and eventually turn right and head through Burswood park and run along the swan river. By this time I had well and truly found my pace and the running masses had well and truly thinned out.

Out of Burswood park we headed along the causeway towards the WACA (WA cricket ground) and towards Gloucester Park and into the finish chute.

There were loads of people gathered at Gloucester Park, but the organisers had everything well set out, with meeting points and refreshments well signed. It was an enjoyable run, nice weather and scenery and I REALLY enjoyed the multiple bands and music stations along the way. It was a slow and cruisy run for me and I certainly made no records or PB’s , but I ran it and didn’t stop so that is good enough for me. This year I am running for ME and learning to enjoy it again without putting distances or times against myself.

I will consider doing this run again next year as it was enjoyable, but the crowds and bottle necking are most definitely a put off, but have to be expected at events of this size! It was also really nice to receive some bling for a 12km event!

“Dream it, Believe in it, Do it! ”

Bec x


Find out more about Bec here

  • Ann-Marie Johansen

Top Running Acronyms 47

As we are all aware running can be known as having a language all of its own!

So just to make life a little easier here is a lost of commonly (and not so commonly) used acronyms.

Running acronyms

  • Ann-Marie Johansen
  • Tags: Acronyms

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required